Looking for a last minute holiday gift? Yeah, you are. (No judgement, we are too). Lucky for you, there’s a popup shop just for us last-minute shoppers.
Some of the best ideas come out of casual conversations, the ones you have when you’re sitting around with your bestie, possibly with a glass of wine or cup of coffee in your hand. We know because a conversation just like that led to the launch of Like Vancouver.
For Sarita Mann and Izabela Domachowski of IZA JEWELRY, their conversation led to a popup shop. A very last minute holiday popup shop featuring their designs as well as those of some of the coolest creators in Vancouver. It all goes down in Gastown December 17 through 21.
We sat down to chat with Sarita to see how it all came together.
How did this idea come together?
After a lovely day of crêpes and visiting our friends shops, Izabela and I had a casual conversation about the Christmas season, minutes later we made a last minute decision to open a holiday pop up shop! Within an hour, the space was confirmed.
Is this your first popup?
No, we’ve both had our fair share of popup fun. Izabela actually had her jewelry popup in that space not too long ago and I’ve exhibited my stationery line in NYC at The National Stationery Show at the Javits Centre for the last two years.
Tell me about the space.
The space, in Gastown is located on Cordova & Carrall. It is small but super sweet and will house approximately 15 businesses and their products over the course of five days.
Our friend owns the space and the night we decided to do the popup we actually ran into him and he gave us the go ahead. Like I said, everything was last minute and so far it’s working out perfectly.
What have been some challenges in putting this thing together?
The only challenge I can think of is time and what I like to call the December factor. We’re all busy this time of year and to throw a popup into the mix. Insane.
With that said everything has been running pretty smoothly. No complaints except for a parking ticket from the City of Vancouver.
You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
What do you consider to be a successful popup?
I like to think success is measured by the people you know, and to have all this talent in one room is pretty special. We want people to come in have a eggnog/rum or hot coco/baileys drinks on us, soak in that Christmas tree smell excited about a new brand they may not have otherwise known about. This city has many talented people and that should always be celebrated.
If you were to buy one item in the popup, what would it be?
I’m absolutely obsessed with my friend Shannon’s modern geometric ceramics. They’ve got a calculated mathematical precision with this calm simple white texture. When I first met her a couple of weeks later I bought her entire Thesis project and I can honestly say these stunning ceramics gave my plants a home.
I’m also excited about Late Slip Co, they make these rad children’s t-shirts that I came across on Instagram. When I first saw them I wanted some for my adorable nephew.
Who is participating?
Selecting which designers we wanted to include was a no brainer because as designers we’ve fostered relationships with other creatives in the city, most of them are our friends. So the ask was pretty easy. We started sending out invitations via text and emails to local brands asking them to be a part of the curated vendor list. From home decor, to aromatherapy, and accessories to ceramics, we wanted to specifically include Vancouver brands that didn’t quite fit within the craft fair world.
- Iza Jewelry, @izajewelry; Jewelry
- Sarita Mann Design Studio, @saritamann; Greeting Cards + Note Books
- Lock + Mortice, @lockandmortice; Wood + Leather Goods
- Hayo Magazine, @hayomagazine; Hayo Magazine Print Publication
- Woodlot, @woodlot; Candles, Soap, Mist, Palo Santo Sticks
- Harlow Skin Co, @harlowskinco; Natural Body Care
- Madera, @maderagoods; Soy Candles
- Still Classics, @stilclassics; Day Planners
- Linnie von Sky, @linnievonskydotcom; Children’s Books
- Objects With Personality, @objectswithpersonality; Modern Geometric Ceramics
- Beth Richards, @bethrichardsswimwear; Designer Swimwear
- Late Slip, @lateslipco; Dope Kid’s Clothing
- Cursor & Thread, @cursorandthread; Bow Ties, Men’s Accessories
- Plaj Towels, @plajtowels; Turkish Towels and Blankets
- Drifter the Label, @drifterthebrand; Bohemian-inspired Homeware + Accessories
- Sangre de Fruta, @sangredefruta; Botanical Body Products
- Vitruvi, @vitruvi, Natural Aromatherapy
- EM’SAY, @emsay_studio; Concrete Home Decor + Accessories (Available Mon – Wed)
- JEvents Planning & Design, @jevents.planning.design
What have been some favourite popups you’ve been to in 2016?
Oh boy there have been so many but if I had to pick I’d say Iza Jewelry’s popup, and the Hey Jude girls, it was lovely seeing them launch their pop up into a permanent shop.
What’s next for you? Planning any other popups in 2017?
Next year is a big one for both of us. Iza jewelry is launching her men’s collection! I’ll have a few of those please.
I’m currently working at an architecture firm building up my portfolio, working towards those grad school goals. 2017 is going to fly by just as this year has. As for my stationery line, I hope to come out of my sabbatical and pick up where I left off.
Our Last Minute Contest
You’ve gone to the popup, made a list and checked it twice. Neglected to get a little something for yourself? We got you. Sarita Mann will gift you one of her fab prints in a frame. Here is how to enter to win.
- Follow @LikeVancouver on Twitter and tweet the following: Win a last minute holiday gift from the Last Minute Holiday Popup Shop. Follow @LikeVancouver & RT to enter http://bit.ly/2gUoOsR (1 entry)
- Follow @LikeVancouver on Instagram, like and tag a friend on our Last Minute post (1 entry)
- Like us on Facebook then comment and tag a friend on our Last Minute post. (1 entry)
Contest runs from now until December 21 at midnight (PT). A winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entries.
Last Minute – A last minute holiday popup shop
8. E. Cordova St., Gastown
December 18-21, 2016 | 11am-7pm
Opening party: Saturday 12-7pm
Facebook Event Page