BETA5 Chocolates is turning 5 and to celebrate, the founders share their top accomplishments and invite you to their birthday party.
The Vancouver-based company has melted hearts with signature and seasonal releases of chocolates, cream puffs, eclairs, polygon bars and Saturday ice cream socials. If you love chocolate, you love BETA5 Chocolates.
The husband and wife duo, Adam Chandler and Jessica Rosinski, have had five amazing years working together with their team out of their East Van shop where they meld art, science, design and precision to craft extraordinary chocolates and pastries. They produce in small batches using sustainable, direct trade plantation chocolate and premium ingredients. The result are the award-winning chocolates that Vancouverites have fallen in love with.
“We are so pleased with all that BETA5 has become,” says Rosinski. “We have grown from a team of just Adam and I open only on Saturdays, to a staff of 18, operating and busy, six days a week. It’s very gratifying.” Here, a look back at their proudest accomplishments.
BETA5’S Top 5 on Turning 5
1. Earning a spot as one of Dessert Professional magazine’s Top Ten Chocolatiers in North America in 2012.
2. Winning big. BETA5 has achieved significant national and international attention since its debut, leading to the accumulation of 38 medals from the International and Canadian Chocolate Awards.
3. Working with French artisan chocolate manufacturer Valrhona, to create custom Valrhona dark and milk chocolates for BETA5’s dedicated use – a Canadian first.
4. Going to the source. Adam, the sole Canadian, joined 11 top US pastry chefs and the Valrhona team to visit farmers of the Norandino Cooperative in Northern Peru, where sustainable farming practices are used to grow Criollo Porcelana, a rare white cocoa bean.
5. Making friends and influencing people. Perhaps the most satisfying accomplishment for the BETA5 team is witnessing their customers enjoyment and support. This includes the joy of watching eager patrons devour cream puffs in their cars in the parking lot as well as earning customer’s trust.
“Our customers are willing to give whatever we make a try,” shares Chandler. “Whether it’s a black cream puff, a Fisherman’s Friend chocolate [gold at the International Chocolate Awards], or a black olive polygon bar [silver at the International Chocolate Awards]. That also includes chocolates that contain surprises like mushrooms, celery, beets, and carrots.”
Join BETA5’S In-Store Birthday Celebration on October 1
Next up for BETA5 is their annual in-store birthday party. Celebration number five will include:
- “Loot bags” for the first 25 customers
- Complimentary mini cream puffs for 50 starting at 12pm
- Full-sized birthday party themed cream puffs for sale
- Limited edition birthday polygon bars – with a twist! Ten of the specially created bars will feature a wonderful Willy Wonka-style surprise – gold leaf gilding and an invite to collect a delicious prize.
- A birthday themed Saturday Ice Cream Social featuring limited edition birthday sundaes served from 1pm to 5pm
- An in-store contest to win a private tour and tasting for five people at BETA5 headquarters
Can’t make it to the Vancouver store on October 1? Celebrate online!
Follow BETA5 on Instagram and you could win one of these prizes:
- A five-course, pop-up dessert party for 6 guests at the winner’s home will be thrown for the favourite regram of the past five years topped with #BETA5turns5.
- The chance to play chocolatier for a day by creating a custom flavoured batch of polygon bars awaits one lucky person who attends the in-store party and posts a picture on Instagram tagged with #BETA5birthday*
What: BETA5 Birthday Celebration
Where: 413 Industrial Avenue, October 1 from 10am – 5pm